Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Daily BITUB- “Memories and Smiles”

I often think how much my grandparents influenced who I am. Their influence resonates in my mannerisms, my values, my beliefs, my kids, our traditions, and so much more. At the time I couldn't have imagined just how much the littlest things would spark the biggest memories. The food they cooked, the habits they had, the games we played. The way they brought us all together and held us tight. The smell of coffee puts me at a table with my Grandma Helen. The smell of a fireplace puts me in front of a heater with my Grandma Connie. Reading words of wisdom puts me in the family room with my Grandpa Bob. The long talks, laughter, cards, cold beer and Old Charter puts me at the poker table with my Gpa Gene. We might take those moments for granted when we are in them, and then we miss them when we aren't able to do them anymore. Yet, there are no regrets for moments we made matter, memories we hold dear, and stories we get to share with friends, family, our children, and anyone who will listen that keeps the legacy of them alive and well. My wife once recorded my Gpa telling a story of how he met my Grandma. He told that story several times, but each time there was something new he remembered. It was such a sight to see him light up and reminisce. While I miss the stories they all told I've learned through them the importance of making my own. To take time to listen to my parent's memories, my kids stories about school, my wife's excitement about her dreams, my coworkers passion about their goals, and my families memories they have about those that have passed. My cousin Jonathon, who passed away from cancer, called me one time when I lived in Georgia. I was sitting in my office late and he asked me to tell him a story about he and I that made me smile. I can't share that story here because it's not appropriate, as most of our stories weren't, but even now as I think of it I'm smiling. As I think of my grandparents, I'm smiling. That's what we get to hold on to. If you are blessed to still have the opportunity to make more moments, then don't put it off. Go make your moments memories. Listen to the stories, pay attention to the details, take the trips, play the games, smell the roses... and remember that feeling. Remember it for those times you simply need to take a breath, close your eyes, and smile.

Believe In The Unbelievable that is YOU and my prayer for you today is that you are able to cherish the memories, give thanks for the ones you are still making, and that you find comfort in knowing those that have passed had memories of you that made them smile too. 

Have a blessed, safe, and healthy day all. 

DC

"All things are possible if you believe." Mark 9:23

 

Follow Me:


Website:

Believe In The Unbelievable

Twitter:

@DCBITUB

FB:

Believe in the Unbelievable Page

@BITUBDC

Little Boy, Big Dreams LLC Page

@littleboybigdreams 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Most Frequented Posts